The Comedians of the Air
When we fly, it seems more like a chore. Airports are a place where fun goes to die. We face long lines, delays, and strict rules and regulations. The whole experience is an inconvenience that separates us from our final destination.
One South African airline, Kulula Airlines, is taking a different, lighter approach to air travel. Kulula has found the perfect blend of fun and efficient travel.
We had doubted them the unofficial “comedians of the air”.
Like a good comedian, every audience member is a possible target.
When South African’s President Jacob Zuma got married for the sixth time, Kulula ran the advertisement below.
The small print says, “Should you find yourself flying across our beautiful nation on business, holidays, or even say, on honeymoon, you’ll be pleased to hear that as long as all five of you fly together, not only will you get a great deal on flights for your first three wives, but your fourth wife will fry free, mahala, on the house.”
And another advertisement.
It is all about the props.
If you weren’t already confident about the abilities of Kulula’s pilots, its planes come with instructions.
A good show is about the first few minutes.
A video of the flight safety instructions.
A few other gems from the Kulula team.
- As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Durban Airport , a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: “Whoa, big fella. WHOA!”
- After a real crusher of a landing in Johannesburg , the attendant came on with, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Captain Crash and the Crew have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the warning bells are silenced, we will open the door and you can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal..”
- “As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses..”
- Another flight attendant’s comment on a less than perfect landing: “We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal.”
- ”Your seats cushions can be used for flotation; and in the event of an emergency water landing, please paddle to shore and take them with our compliments.”